Most fitness classes burn a similar amounts of calories as shown later in this blog. Finding the right combination that meet your lifestyle, goals or personality is the key. I explore how I found a combination that made me feel like I was in control of my body again and live confidently.
I woke up this morning sleepy, a bit lonely and fed up. I forced myself to get in the car and go to horse riding and now I feel great! The morning is beautiful, I feel really good about myself and more then anything I am proud that all my efforts are paying off as I am improving.
This is not actually an advert for early morning exercise – whilst I love it I know not everyone does – this is a blog more focused around how sport and fitness is all complimentary and the mixture helps strengthen the body for different activities.
Just under 5 years ago I had my daughter, via c-section, which shot my abs. The most common issues we see from clients in the Studio are weak abs and glutes. This leads to back pain, weight gain, posture issues and can result in sports injury. So I was the same as most people and needed to re-build strength.
1. I started with yoga, I would have done reformer pilates too if I could have at the time. This started to help me with full body strength and flexibility which was great for preventing injury.
2. I then thought I would do some HIIT as I felt I lacked cardio – instantly I injured myself. A serious back injury that stopped me doing any sport for fitness for 6 weeks. This was crazy as before the HIIT I was actually losing weight and my body shape was really changing to become lean and toned so the move was counter productive and put me back several weeks.
3. Over the next 3 months I focused on yoga and reformer pilates, really perfecting my postured and I found my strength built similar to weight training, as in reality yoga is a mix of resistance training and flexibility exercises – just like personal training and many HIIT classes.
4. I then managed to get the courage to start horse riding and running again. I found that this is where things got really interesting. I had such a strong core my ability to control my muscles and my stamina was much improved, my posture was amazing and my enjoyment of the various activities was enhanced.
5. I used to wake most mornings with back pain, tired and varying energy levels. I now have no pain, I stretch every day to help counter my desk job and find myself doing small exercises around the house too including plank with my daughter and press ups (just to check I still can).
All fitness and health is interconnected for me. See opposite the similarities in muscles groups for rising and running.
I love the variety, I love that the everytime I go to class I am improving and better still I love life and my figure.
So lets review. Most exercises burn a similar number of calories – see adjacent, therefore the combination that you want are those that compliment your lifestyle, personality or goals.
I have had to change some habits, bit I am in control of my body and that feels GREAT!